Thursday, July 22, 2010

Zucchini burgers and pucks

One of my biggest struggles at meal time is getting Grace to eat vegetables. She won't try a whole lot, and she's very picky. I got a new cookbook about sneaking veggies into foods. (It's the one by the comedian's wife. I'm not saying it because I don't want my blog to come up in a search about the book.) I tried one of the recipes tonight for dinner, and it was a huge success! It was hamburger sliders with shredded zucchini mixed in. I don't know if Grace ate them because she's had one of John's burgers before, or if she helped make them. (I let her help me roll the meat into balls and smash them into burgers.) But she at it all! She really liked it. I've never had success getting her to eat zucchini, even in zucchini bread, but she ate this!

Since I had to shred the zucchini for the burgers, I just shredded all the zucchini so I could put it in the freezer. (I had an electric shredder, so it was quick work. I borrowed it from my mom, but I want one now!) I didn't think it would be good to freeze it all together, but I didn't want to put them portions in individual bags. I came up with what I think was a great idea! I stuffed the shreds into a 1/2 cup measuring cup and dumped them upside down on a cookie sheet. When I was finished portioning it out, I threw them in the freezer for an hour. I pulled it out, and ta da! Zucchini pucks that I could put in 1 large bag! Now they are individually portioned for whenever I need them next!

1 comment:

Ells said...

awesome plan! I wondered about the title of your post, when I saw the word 'pucks'. :)