Sunday, April 4, 2010

Happy Easter!

Happy Easter! This year has held a lot of excitement and anticipation for us, for a couple of reasons. I guess a huge reason is because 2 days after Easter, we meet our baby girl! My c-section is scheduled for Tuesday! I can't believe it's here! The whole pregnancy has flown by, except for the last week. John asked me last night if it was just him, or if this week has been dragging on and on. It's not just him! It's gone by pretty slowly for me too.

Another reason for the anticipation is Grace. This year, holidays have taken on new meaning, as we teach her what the holiday is truly about. We tried last year, but she just wasn't old enough to understand it. This year, she's been learning the story at home, at church, at school, and at our weekly Bible study class. She sees examples of Christ's resurrection in everything! Wednesday, we were driving home from school, and she had her basket of Easter eggs from the egg hunt. She held the largest one up, open and empty, and said, "Look, Mommy! It's empty like the tomb!" When she sees a cross, she says, "Jesus died on the cross." Upon questioning, she'll share the whole story.
Us-What happened after the cross?
G- They put him in the cave.
Us- Then what happened?
G- The angel rolled the stone away! (She will do a hand movement to demonstrate this.)
Us- What was in the tomb?
G- The tomb was empty!!!!
Us- Why?
G- Because JESUS IS ALIVE!!! (She throws her hands up in victory at this exclamation!)

I realized yesterday that I had never put two and two together about the day, so I was telling her that Easter is the day Jesus came alive again. This morning, I told her today is Easter, and I asked why Easter is special. She said "The tomb is empty!"

There's something so special about seeing a holiday through the eyes of a child! Early on, we had decided to not do the Easter bunny (or Santa), so we can focus on the true reason for the holidays. It has really changed them for us, as we get excited again and again for what Christ has done for us.

"The tomb is empty, because Jesus is alive!"

1 comment:

The Zinn family said...

How precious. It is something special when your kids can take part in the holidays. All of a sudden it feels like family is more real. We don't do santa or the easter bunny either, and our kids don't know that anything is missing, but they sure do know why we celebrate what we do. Can't wait to see your next blog!!! I am hoping there will be pics of the new baby.