Saturday, March 19, 2011

Susie

When most people think of Hurricane Ike, they have bad memories. For me, I remember that it was the beginning of my friendship with Susie. We had just moved from Germany into our apartment about a month before the hurricane. When we realized it was going to hit us, we decided to make sure our neighbors were ok. I don't remember if we had met Susie before that day, but that was the day we started talking to her. The day after the hurricane, when my family was trying to figure out what to do while they had no power, Susie graciously offered her spare bedroom and her couch to my family. My mom, sister, and brother-in-law stayed in her apartment for a week. That was the beginning. Even just a few months ago, Susie mentioned that it was the hurricane that brought us together.

Over the next few months, Grace and I started going over a few days a week, just to hang out. That gradually increased to almost daily. For the rest of the time we lived there, our days just didn't feel complete if we didn't see Susie. I could talk to her about anything. When I was happy, she rejoiced with me. When I was frustrated, she just listened to me vent. When I was worried, she reminded me that life had its good moments and its hard moments. She always said that life wasn't easy but it would be ok. She would know; she lived through the Great Depression. The stories she would tell me were incredible.

Life there was lonely. It was hard for me to make friends in such a small town. It seemed like not many moms were stay-at-home, which made it hard to connect. But I had Susie. She became my best friend. It sounds strange to say it, since I was in my 30s and she was in her 90s. What an unusual pair we made! She would often take me out to lunch, just to treat me to something special. She introduced me to all her friends, including me in several special events.

Susie spoiled me. She would come over while I needed to do housework and sit and read with Grace. Or fold my laundry while I did dishes or cooked. After Annabelle was born, she'd come over and just hold her for me. My girls LOVE Susie. If you asked Grace to name her grandparents, Susie was in the list. She would often ask to go to Susie's by herself. (Our backdoors were only 20 feet apart.) I'd walk her over there, and she'd sit next to Susie and just hang out.

Even after we moved away, we talked on the phone at least twice a week. Most of the time, when one of us would call the other, the one on the receiving end was going to make the phone call the same day. We were so in sync. I tried to go back every 2-3 weeks for a visit. I always enjoyed my visits with her. She always told me how much she appreciated our friendship, that she was so thankful that God gave us to her. She said, "I have my 2 girls... well, now I have my 3 girls. You are my angels." We often at the same conversation, just in awe of our special relationship.

Last week, I got the call I dreaded. Susie had a stroke. They rushed her to the local hospital and then life-flighted her to a Houston hospital. We went to see her Sunday. Unfortunately, she wasn't awake when we went. She briefly woke up to ask for water, but she wasn't very responsive other than that. Early reports were that she was responding well and things looked promising. But now, the swelling is getting worse, and there is talk hospice care.

I knew when I started getting closer to her that eventually she would pass away, leaving me broken-hearted. But I'm grateful that I didn't let that stop me from one of the best friends I've ever had. I'm praying for her, that she isn't in pain. I want to pray for a miracle, for her to recover, because I'm not ready to say goodbye, but I know the reality is that she is 92 and has lived a long, blessed life. She had her rough spots, but overall, she'd say she had a great life. I know she's ready to go whenever it is her time. So instead, I'm praying for a peaceful, painless end, and for comfort for me and my family as we say goodbye to our friend.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

You summed it up very well and made me cry.