Monday, April 18, 2011

Catch up post

Life has been crazy and stressful lately. Texas is undergoing severe budget cuts in the education department, and it is affecting the local schools. Our district cut hundreds of jobs, mainly probationary contracts. John is under a probationary contract for his first 3 years, so we were really scared that he would be let go. We heard rumors of other coaches being laid off, so we didn't have any security at all. Luckily, his job was safe due to other teachers in his department voluntarily resigning. Other people weren't so lucky, but we are thankful for John's job for at least another year. I hope Texas gets its act together so we don't have to face this stress next year!

Annabelle has passed her chicken trial! It is so nice to have a good protein she can eat! So now she can eat pears, peas, bananas and chicken! We started a milk trial last Wednesday. So far, she's up to about 3 ounces a day. She's been extra fussy lately, but I don't know if it is because of the milk or if she is teething. I'll keep increasing the amount until we get to a full serving or until she has a reaction.

I've really been missing Susie lately. She passed away almost 4 weeks ago, and it is so hard. The school stress was when I really felt her absence. Last year, when I was so stressed about where John would get a job, she was a calming presence in my life. I really missed having her wisdom as we waited to hear if John would have a job again. And when I found out John would have his job still, I missed picking up the phone to rejoice with her. Grace found the program from the funeral, and I saw her hugging it. We sat down and talked about missing Susie. She said, "You miss Susie and I miss Susie, but Annabelle doesn't miss her." I guess she's heard me say before that Annabelle won't remember her. (I don't know how much Grace will remember her in a few years, but I know for the next few at least, she'll remember her.) Grace does seem to understand everything that happened, so I'm glad it hasn't been difficult for her.

No comments: