Tuesday, May 19, 2009

"That one!"

One of Grace's favorite phrases now is "that one!" She points at whatever she wants and repeats over and over "That one!! I want that one!!" We sometimes have to go through everything in the area where she's pointing to find out what she wants, and often it's not even something she can have. 

We've had a busy month since my last post. Lots of traveling! On Mother's Day weekend, John had a coaching conference Thursday through Satruday, so Grace and I went to my parents' house. I told mom she was lucky because she was getting a 4-day celebration of Mother's day. :) Mom and I spent the day Friday shopping, spending my birthday money. It was a great day. I love going shopping with my mom. She's very patient while I try on everything and buy nothing. (Thanks, mom!) Grace loves hanging out with her, too. I did eventually spend my money, thanks to my mom's encouragement of what looked good on me.

Saturday, all my siblings and and their families (minus my sister-in-law) came over to my parents' for an early Mother's Day celebration. It was fun to have us all together again. It doesn't happen that often to have all 4 of us together, even though we are all relatively close. I really enjoy it when we do. I especially love watching Grace with all her relatives. She's starting being very generous with hugs, and she'll run up to someone and give them a huge hug, even without me asking! It's so sweet. 

Dad bought a fun swimming pool for their backyard for the girls, so Grace played in the water for a couple of hours with her 2 cousins. They still had their small pool too, so he set that up. It was funny to watch the girls run back and forth between them. The new pool even had a slide!! My mom's neighbor came out with her 2-year old and 4 month old. The 2-year old had a blast playing with Grace and her cousins. 

This past weekend, Mom and I went to visit my grandmother for a few days. I was super excited to see my friend Julia that I haven't seen since August 2007!! She left Germany then, and just got back from a deployment, so she was visiting her parents in the same town as my grandmother. It was great getting to catch up with her! It's funny, you don't realize how much you miss someone until you spend time with them again. Then you realize how much you missed them! We were able to spend a lot of time together. It was a huge blessing. 

This is the last week of school for John's students. Yeah!! Today started finals, so he's pretty excited that he's done teaching now. It's half-days for the rest of the week, and then he's finished!! (Well, he has in-service for a few days the next week, but he's finished with students.) I made my last "reward cake" last night. I decided to do cupcakes because I needed to serve 27 kids (2 classes made an "A" average on their last test before the final.) I've tried making roses before, but have not been successful. I've watched several videos on it, so I decided to try, since i had several cupcakes to frost. They ended up look pretty good!
Here are some of the first ones.
 

This one is my favorite:
I didn't clean the tip when I changed colors, so this is what it looked like.

These were a lot of fun to do! I'm glad I'm finally getting the hang of piping roses!


1 comment:

Ells said...

Thanks for your comment, Shannon! Love those flowery cupcakes. :) Will you post pictures of Grace's birthday celebration?