When you're in training for going overseas as a missionary, they tell you that you should get out and experience the culture of your area. You really need to get a feel for what the people are like and what they do for fun. We've learned that it's important to do that when you move back to America. We did that last night. One of John's students is involved in the Youth Rodeo Association here in town, so he invited John to come to the first meet of this year's season. It was pretty cool to watch, but I definitely felt underdressed in my capris and flip flops and John in shorts and Birkenstocks. Almost everyone else was in what I called "kicker clothes" growing up- Wranglers, boots, and Western shirts. The student did well in one of his events. He came out of the shoot with his arms wrapped around a calf's neck, and he had to wrestle him to the ground. I was amazed! The calf was not small, compared to the student! Grace loved it too! She clapped when she was supposed to and danced around to the country music playing. It was as much fun to watch her as it was to watch the rodeo! I've always been really interested in watching rodeo events. It amazes me the skill involved. I guess because I've only ridden a horse maybe 3 times in my life, it's more exciting to me. (Maybe living out in the country, I'll get invited to ride one!)
I'm still not used to going to different stores and hearing English around me. Today, I stopped at an antique store "going-out-of-business" sale. As I walked around it, I didn't say anything to anyone, even "excuse me". It struck me as I was leaving that I did what I would have done in a German store. I smiled at people, but didn't speak. I always wanted to try to blend in as much as possible when I was overseas, so I stayed quiet because if I opened my mouth, I stuck out. I felt really rude when I realized what I had done.
Today was "1st Saturday Market Day" here. It was pretty interesting. Grace and I walked over, as it was only a couple of blocks from our apartment. There were vendors selling everything from candles to veggies to saddles to woodwork. We bought some vegetables and contemplated buying a candle. But I told the vendor it's too hot to considering buying a candle! I'll buy one in November. (She won't be there in October.)
(You may notice that I have been slipping and using names. It's too hard to remember to use nicknames for us, so I give up!)
3 comments:
remind me, why do you have to use nicknames?
A friend of mine warned me about using real names on my site, to protect my family from internet crazies, since it's a public blog. So I was going to use nicknames, but it's too hard to remember to use them, so I'll use real names but never post pics. (I'll put pics on my facebook and another pic website.)
What was the name of the antique store? There is one in Bellville that I love.
Post a Comment